- This event has passed.
Dementia-Inclusive Music Training: Perth
14th September 2019 @ 10:00 am - 4:00 pmFree
About this Event
This training day is designed to help leaders interested in this field of work to develop new and stronger skills and knowledge around choral leadership and dementia-inclusive practice, so we can increase the accessibility of choirs and singing opportunities across Scotland to people living with dementia and their carers.
The day will consist of two training sessions:
10am – 12noon Dementia Inclusion Training led by Age Scotland
12.45pm – 4pm Community Music Training led by composer and community music specialist Stephen Deazley
Attendees can choose to attend one or both sessions. Lunch will be provided for those attending both sessions on the day.
When booking your place, please select the option that applies to you.
Who is this event for?
Choir and community leaders who currently lead dementia-inclusive choirs or would like to make their practice dementia-inclusive, professionals working in the care and healthcare environments who would like to develop their music skills, and anyone who wishes to develop their knowledge about dementia-inclusive work and explore approaches to leading high quality singing activities.
What will you learn?
At the end of the training, participants should be able to:
- Demonstrate their understanding of the various types of dementia and how these impact on people’s abilities and feelings
- Explain/demonstrate the value and benefits of singing as a group for people living with dementia and their family/carers
- Explain/demonstrate key communication approaches
- Explain/demonstrate an ability to choose and teach suitable repertoire in an accessible way
- Explain/demonstrate an ability to engage the interest of participants with dementia and encourage them to develop new skills through participation in a choir
- Demonstrate an ability to lead a choir within an inclusive environment that caters for all abilities and needs
Dementia Inclusive Choirs Network
This training event is part of a new Dementia Inclusive Choirs Network which will widen singing opportunities for people living with dementia across Scotland. The network is supported by Life Changes Trust and The Baring Foundation, in partnership with Age Scotland, Scottish Care and Making Music. The event is supported by Horsecross Arts.
How can I contact the organiser with any questions?
You can call the Luminate office on 0131 668 8066 or email [email protected].
If you are a carer and will incur additional costs to cover your caring responsibilities in order to attend this event, please contact [email protected] to request support.
Please click on the following link to register: www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/dementia-inclusive-music-training-perth-tickets-70893966763